Management consultant, blog writer, dreamer
Video marketing is starting to dominate the internet. Indeed, video is the internet. According to Cisco forecasts, global consumer internet video traffic will make up 80% of all consumer internet traffic by 2019, up from 64% in 2014 1.
The move to video is unavoidable. According to Steve Olenski, contributing for Forbes, consumers are becoming immune to display ads such as static banners and AdWords displays, as they have been bombarded with them daily for several years. Also, it’s now easier than ever to view videos on the internet. “The modern web is now driven by video in a way that didn’t seem possible even 15 years ago, thanks largely to the ubiquity of personal mobile devices and omni-present, reliable high-speed internet connections” concurs Chaitanya Chandrasekar recently in the Search Engine Journal.
The smartphone is the device that most people use to watch videos with. As a result, a record high of nearly 57 percent of video plays worldwide in the first quarter of 2017 came from mobile (Josh Miller, CNET). It is therefore important for retailers to always include video marketing in their digital marketing strategy.
How video marketing is used
Not so long ago it was expensive and time-consuming to manufacture a promotional video for your business. However, things have moved forward. Technological innovations such as smart phones and digital cameras and improved infrastructure to support broadband and 3G/4G wireless networks have paved the way for high quality and easy downloadable videos. Furthermore, platform developments (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Amazon, and Netflix) are collectively transforming the way video is produced, distributed, consumed, and archived 1.
Indeed, everyone with a smartphone can now record a video and publish it online. That can be good, and also bad… There are 1.3 billion users of You Tube and 300 videos get uploaded each minute. But that’s not all – a whopping 5 billion videos are watched on You Tube each day (MerchDope). That’s a lot of content! So where will your videos rank amongst them?
You need to plan your video marketing campaign purposefully.
Strategic video marketing
The main objectives of a digital marketing strategy for retailers are to generate leads and to get sales. In the online channel that means you should get visitors to engage with your content. At this moment, video is the most popular tool for web users to engage with their retailer’s brands. But, you’ll get nowhere with a video that’s only explaining the specs and uses of your products. To get the most out of your video marketing campaign, you should publish a video that tells a story.
Stories that are told via videos make for better marketing because they elicit emotion 2. These stories can influence who we trust, they play on our nostalgia, and help us make sense of complex information. Also, a really great story can communicate the entire character of a brand in less than three minutes, and clever stories can help you become especially persuasive (VidYard.com).
Now let’s consider the best tactics for your video marketing campaign.
Five tactics for getting get better results with your online video marketing campaign
Olivia Ryan writing recently in InfusionSoft proposed the following five tactics when planning your video marketing strategy:
- Always have a plan. Uploading videos is a part of your video marketing campaign efforts, and like every campaign, it needs to be organized and structured. First to do is to answer the following question: What’s the purpose of this video? The purpose of the video may be:
- To drive more attention towards your products and services;
- To help solving a problem for your target audience; or
- To satisfy an unknown need of your target audience.
- Know who your target audiences are. By fully understanding your audience, you’ll win their attention and respect. Being accepted by your audience is the first step in getting them loyal to your brand.
- Be relevant and helpful. People tend to share things that are remarkable and impressive, therefore, start developing worthy content. This way, people will want to share it.
- Don’t be boring. As a brand, you need to spark emotions. The closer you get to your viewers’ feelings the more they’ll appreciate you. Add humor, add something impressive, think out of the box, and make their day better.
- The first 10 seconds are the most important. It’s really hard to capture the contemporary internet user’s attention. You can do that by being very relevant in the first 10 seconds of the video.
As almost every business is now using video content to get the people to experience their brands, the competition to get the videos seen, is toughened up. Retailers need to think out of the box with regard to what content and channels they use for their video marketing campaign. You need to know what is happening in your market before it even happens…
- Online Videos are Useful to Convince Shoppers to Buy
- Instagram Marketing – Telling Stories about Your Brand with Pictures and Videos
A Marketing Plan helps you to communicate the right content to the right audience.
1 Li, F. 2016. The Future of Video, Cambridge, UK: Imagen Ltd
2 Teixeira, T., Wedel, M. and Pieters, R. 2012. Emotion-induced engagement in internet video advertisements, Journal of Marketing Research, 49(2):144-159.